New painting: "Contrarie - Amanojyaku -"

Here is my newest girl, "Contrarie!" What a mix of delicacy and violent pain she is!

Contrarie - Amanojyaku - | Watercolor, colored pencil, gold leaf, and fabric collage on board

She is watercolor, colored pencil (for the details) and kimono fabric collage on board. I ordered the fabric from an Etsy shop in Japan and spent a looong time cutting out the elements that I wanted, pasting them to the board. I really enjoy this unique fusion of media and collage, plus it lets me feature the stunning world of kimono fabric design! Behind my girl's head is a giant patch of gold leaf. It makes her hair shape kind of like the Queen of Hearts' on the most recent Alice in Wonderland movie.





I've always been drawn to the arrow-pierced / impossibly-calmly-suffering imagery like that of St. Sebastian, Ben-Kei, Joan of Arc, etc. One of my favorite pieces I made in college was also an arrow-pierced lady. I must have some deep psychological issue to be drawn to this imagery over and over... *crazy laughter.* This piece was also influenced by one of my favorite Caravaggio paintings, "Young Sick Bacchus."

The Japanese word amanojyaku (天邪鬼) refers to a demon-like creature in traditional folklore. However, it can also mean a very contrary or stubborn person. You know the type... the person who always delights in being the direct opposite of what everyone else says and does. Basically: me.

If something is madly popular and everyone is getting on the train, I most likely won't... or will only do so if I decide the thing is really worthy; and even then, with begrudging trepidation. Also, if a person or group is despised by the hip crowd, I will most likely end up taking a liking to them. I take a weird delight in being isolated, disconnected, bizarre, and thinking differently than most people in my demographic. I sometimes don't even feel that I fit in properly with other artists.

My Contrarie girl is surrounded with gorgeous florals to show that she is ever surrounded by beauty and good things, (like I am,) but her stubbornness, tenacity, and amanojyaku-ness often bring her pain. Still she carries on, because she's grown accustomed to the sting of opposition and impossible dreams. It isn't the first time, nor the last that she'll be shot right through the heart.



Hopefully this painting made you think, and maybe you can even see a bit of yourself in her.

Both the original piece and prints will be available to purchase in my shop on Friday, 9/26/14!





New painting: "Contrarie - Amanojyaku -" New painting: "Contrarie - Amanojyaku -" Reviewed by Julie R on 12:13 PM Rating: 5

1 comment:

  1. Hi Juuri!
    It's beautiful! May i ask how do u paste the cloth on the artwork? Is there a specific kind of glue n wont the fabric harden after the glue dries?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.